Monday, November 10, 2014

Wonder Woman

For those that know me, you know it was just a matter of time before I figured out a way to put Wonder Woman in my blog.  There is a small chance I might be slightly obsessed with her—just a small chance!  I actually love super heroes in general; Wonder Woman just happens to be my favorite.  The question is; why do I love super heroes so much?  What is it about them that draws me in and enthralls me into their every story?  Each time a new super hero movie comes out I find myself excited with anticipation of the new story line.  My kids and I count down the days until the movie comes out in the theater, and then count down again till it comes out on DVD.  What is it about the super heroes and their stories that keep me coming back for more?
Well…I have actually put a lot of thought into these questions, probably more than I should.  In doing so, I have come up with many different answers.  I like action movies.  I love a hero.  A good rescue story keeps me on the edge of my seat with exhilaration and anticipation.  I get excited when the good guy beats the bad guy.  My heart longs to see people willing to sacrifice themselves for others.  I get goose bumps and warm fuzzies from stories of people overcoming hardships and turning them into blessings for others.  I am drawn to the ordinary looking person that has super human powers who uses them for the good of the people.  I get lost in these stories and they give me hope, warmth, and a sense that everyone can be saved.
Every super hero in the movies has to overcome some kind of hardship or obstacle. They use these things to turn themselves into a hero--a rescuer of others.  Wonder Woman was an Amazon princess who wanted to be a warrior, even though her mother forbid it, and left her family to come to earth.  Superman’s parents sent him to earth from his dying planet to save him before they died.  Batman’s parents were killed right before his eyes, and so were Robin’s.  Spiderman is an orphan who moved in with his aunt and uncle, and was bitten by a spider.  He received superhuman powers and strengths from that bite.  The list goes on-and-on with the hurdles and struggles these people had to face that helped them become the super heroes they are.  Yet, if you look at their alter egos, they are ordinary and plain.  No one would think that these people could be a hero…a savior.
As I look at their stories and my answers as too why I love them, I find a common thread: I love a SAVIOR!
I love my savior Jesus Christ so it is only natural that I would look for examples of saviors in movies and stories and life.  Jesus had obstacle after obstacle, unbeliever after unbeliever, hardship after hardship on His path to save the world, and yet He rose above them all and sacrificed Himself for all mankind to be saved.  This is the ultimate super hero story and my favorite one of all.  So, while my favorite super hero is actually Jesus Christ, I will still choose to love Wonder Woman.  A girl has to do what a girl has to do!
When looking deeper, the things that draw me to super heroes are actually the attributes of Christ that I hold so dear.  Super heroes sacrifice themselves to save people.  They save people no matter who they are or whether or not they are even thankful for the rescue.  A super hero has a sense when someone needs saving and will drop everything to be there.  Their powers are bigger than their human bodies and capabilities.  They look so ordinary on the outside, yet they are really so powerful.  In comparison, Jesus did sacrifice himself for all mankind.  He died on the cross for everyone; even those who choose not to believe or be thankful.  He knows who needs Him and is always there for each of us, no matter what.  His power was bigger than His human body; it was the power of God the Father.  He was an unassuming man who appeared to be ordinary on the outside, and yet He was actually the all-powerful God.
Please don’t misunderstand me; I realize that super heroes are not God.  They have faults, where Jesus had none.  Jesus is real, and super heroes are made up.  I get all of this for sure.  The point I am making is that I am drawn to things and people that remind me of Christ’s attributes.  I believe we are all drawn to those things, even the nonbeliever.  This is why we watch these movies and read these stories. This is why children pretend to be them and dress up as them.

I may not approve of the way these super hero movies are written or played out, but I do love the underlying message I find in them.  Story telling has long been a way of teaching morals and values to generation after generation.  I am not saying that super hero movies and stories teach the best morals, but the message in the story is still a good one.  Don’t let circumstances stop us from being all we can be.  People need to help people.  We can overcome obstacles and turn our hardships into blessings for us as well as others.  And finally, we all NEED A SAVIOR!  These are the lessons I will choose to learn from super heroes, for they immulate the ultimate savior, Jesus Christ.
This is, of course, my favorite Wonder Woman of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment