Thursday, December 18, 2014

Tests

          Here at my house, it is testing time.  My oldest, Lance, is studying for finals this week.  Baby girl is going though a “boundaries” testing phase.  My husband and I are having our faith tested, especially in two particular areas.  Tensions are running high and the stress levels are off the charts.  It is interesting to watch how we each approach this testing time.  Well, except for Tony, he seems to be the only one who has managed to escape the dreaded testing—and I am envious!  He is just freewheeling and wondering what is going on with his crazy family.  Poor kid.  Or is he setting the example for all of us?  It is not often I get to be envious of Tony’s life with all of his struggles, so I am enjoying this time with his life being the only one that seems to make sense.
We all approach tests differently around here.  Lance’s approach is to study as little as possible then spend the rest of his time trying to convince us he’s got this.  He seems to think that a quick review and read through is all he needs to learn the information.  This would probably work if he spent less time socializing at school and more time learning—I wonder where he gets this trait?   He usually manages to eek by with decent grades, but there is the occasional shocking grade that is certainly a result of his study habits, or lack thereof.
Baby girl takes her kind of testing very seriously.  I tell people all the time, “she is two and she is good at it.”   She insists on trying out all of the most difficult 2-year-old traits…daily!  When she decides to test the boundaries she gives it all she’s got.  She tests with gusto!  She wakes up testing and doesn’t stop until she finally falls asleep.  Sometimes she is still testing in her sleep, as I hear her yelling, “no Mommy” often.  She does not take failure lightly and rarely concedes.  If this is any indication as to how she will take tests in school, we will definitely have an honor roll student on our hands.
Steve and I seem to switch roles back and forth during our times of testing.  Sometimes he is the strong one with untouchable faith while I am leaning on him or hiding in the bathtub.  While other times it is my faith that is standing strong while he is napping in his recliner to avoid the stress of it all.  Luckily we never seem to both be down at the same time.  There are times, however, when we are both strong towers of faith marching through our tests arm-in-arm shouting praises and watching the walls fall down.  Okay, perhaps the Jericho reference is a bit dramatic, but I believe there are no walls strong enough to stop us when the two of us are together and following God’s lead.  During our 19 years of marriage we have seen many walls fall down as we marched on through with the victory of Jesus leading the way.
During this particular time of testing, we seem to be switching roles often.  It seems like each moment is a new battle and we never know which one of us is going to be strong.  We have decided that we are not going to let satan steal our joy.  We have committed to praying every time we feel doubt, fear, or stress creeping in.  Yesterday was particularly rough and we found ourselves literally stopping in mid sentence to pray and rebuke satan.  Our conversations must have sounded so odd.  In fact, while on the phone with Steve, he started praying over me while in the middle of my sentence; we’re that serious about it.  I am thankful to have a man that I can pray with, be vulnerable with, and in times of weakness, lean on his strength.
I know we will see these walls of frustration fall.  We will see the roadblocks get blown away.  We will see this stress melt away leaving our joy intact.  Until these things happen, we are here, in the midst of the testing, praying our way through and looking for the light at the end of this very long tunnel.  We are also trying to take the time to be thankful that this too shall pass, for God says,

For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long.  Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever.  So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen.  For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever (2 Corinthians 4: 17-18).

We are also standing strong in our faith that we have nothing to fear as long as God is on our side.  Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Isaiah 41:10).
            So, whatever test you are facing, I encourage you to commit your struggle to The Lord and rest in the steering currents that He provides.  Oh, and listen closely, because there is lesson to be learned and story to be made.



This is Lance preparing himself to study!

No comments:

Post a Comment