Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Shoes

I know you’re asking…why shoes? The answer…because it can’t all be deep and meaningful.  Sometimes it has to be real, a bit selfish, and maybe even shallow.  But in the end, there is meaning, I promise!  So, today the topic is shoes, let’s just see where it takes us.  Why do I love shoes so much?  What is it about shoes that draws me in and beckons me to spend money?  What is it with this obsession?  With every change of season I find myself feeling the need to shop for shoes.  That being said, if you recall from an earlier post, some think I am cheap; I like to consider myself thrifty.  This translates into several pairs of cheap shoes instead of one expensive pair!  I feel like since I spend less per pair, it justifies me buying more…and more.  This obsession is not just limited to my shoes, my kid’s shoes fall into this as well…except for Lance because I simply cannot deal with his teenage pickiness—he’s on his own!
I truly love shoes for all seasons, but summer shoes are, by far, my favorite.  I love the open-toed, airy, light; barely there feel of summer shoes.  Though I am admittedly obsessed with shoes, I would prefer to be barefoot—what is wrong with me?  If I don’t have to wear shoes, I do not!  I feel barefoot is simply the best, which is probably why summer shoes are my favorite.  Since most places require me to wear shoes, I must spend hours searching and shopping for just the right pair (or 10) of cheap shoes.  Now with the open-toed barely there shoes comes the need for painted toenails and smooth heals, but that is another blog post for another day.
My shoe obsession is making it practically impossible to get any work done on my computer lately.  Every time I sit down at my desk my web browser just automatically goes to shoe websites.  I try to fight it, but alas I end up spending an incalculable amount of time browsing the shoes.  Even Facebook is in on this, as they keep putting shoe adds on the right side of my home page.  Basically this is just my way of saying it isn’t my fault, the universe clearly wants me to shop for shoes.  Do you think my husband is buying any of this?  Yeah, me neither, but you can’t blame a girl for trying.  It’s like everywhere I turn there is a shoe ad, a picture of someone wearing cute shoes, or a coupon for a discount on shoes.  Which reminds me, I have until the end of today to use my shoe coupon…hmmm…maybe blogging can wait.
Sorry, back to what I was saying.  I was browsing Facebook the other day trying my best not to look at the right side of my screen, which is clearly telling me to shoe shop.  I decide to watch a video posted by Brandon Hatmaker.  Certainly this will get my mind off shoes right?  Wrong!  The video is about Him and Jen (notice I just call her Jen, like we are close friends.  Some might find this stalkerish, but I just know we would be best of friends if we ever actually met, so I am just going to pretend like we are already friends) and their church providing shoes for the homeless….yep, shoes!  Of all the things they could have collected then given away, it had to be shoes!
I decided to watch the video all the way though and ended up in a puddle of tears.  Now I want to go donate all of my precious cute shoes to the homeless.  However, I think instead, I will find a way to get some supportive shoes and donate them to those who need them in my area.  If I am going to be obsessed with shoes, I might as well use my obsession to help those in need.  Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others” (Philippians 2:4).  This got me thinking.  What if we all used the things we love or are obsessed with to help those in need, the least of these?  It may seem like we are to small to make a difference, but one small gesture can make a difference to one person and to that one person it could mean the world.
But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth(1 John 3:17-18).  

What are you doing daily to help others?  Are you going out of your way to intentionally reach the unreachable, feed the hungry, cloth the naked, shelter the homeless?  I am embarrassed to say that most days I am failing at this.  I find this not to be a heart issue, because my heart is in the right place.  I want to help and serve and love.  My problem is of action.  I need to be waking up and intentionally planning how I am going to serve, help, and reach out to those who are in need.   I am going to start making that a priority in my daily life.  How can you prioritize those in need into your life?  I would love to hear your ideas and ways you have already served.

No comments:

Post a Comment