Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Lessons From Fasting

Our church did 21 days of fasting and prayer not long ago. We had to decide as a family what we were going to fast from. I energetically chose TV thinking this would be great for my family. I really wasn’t thinking I would miss it that much since I hardly ever actually get to watch what I want. I knew it would be hard for my two youngest kids and that would subsequently make it harder for me, but I felt brave and was up for the challenge.
Our first day was on a Sunday. It was way easier than I thought it was going to be and I actually enjoyed my time without the TV on. We turned up the Christian music and sang loudly. No one really even seemed to miss having the TV on so I felt confident we would be able to make it for 21 days. I was blinded by pride and the misconception that I was above TV watching.
Just a few short days into this fasting I found myself alone in the living room. The 2 younger kids had been sent to bed early to save their lives, my oldest was at work and my husband was at a meeting. I got so excited that for the first time in a long time I was going to get to watch what I wanted to watch on TV without anyone interrupting me or complaining. I parked my behind in my recliner, grabbed the remote, and it hit me…we are fasting from TV!!! I actually found myself a bit angry about it. Then I was angry because I got angry. It was a vicious cycle that only a menopausal or hormonal woman could truly understand.
There were 5 or 6 evenings during our fast that I had the opportunity to watch TV all by myself and yet couldn’t. I am here to tell you, that NEVER happens, and I am sure, now that our fasting is done, it will never happen again. Here is what I found though, my kids actually handled not watching TV better than I did. They actually played with their toys and each other. Well, except for my 16 year old who only has time for TV on the weekends, and he just replaced TV time with gym time. As a matter of fact, I seemed to be the only one really having a hard time at all. I found I was embarrassed for myself.
“The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks and make your home on the heights, you who say to yourself, ‘Who can bring me down to the ground?’” (Obadiah 1:3)
My pride had gotten the best of me. I just knew my family would be miserable, those poor lost souls that were addicted to the devil’s TV, and yet it was me all along that had the problem. Who would have guessed it?
The goal of fasting is to replace what you give up with time spent with our Lord and Savior. I have to confess that much of the 21 days I totally and miserably failed at this.  I simply found other things to fill my time like Pinterest, social media, Boov Pop (don’t judge me). Now don’t get me wrong, I am a busy mom of three and my middle son (who has some special needs) is homeschooled. I am an ambassador with Plexus Worldwide. Plus I volunteer at my church with our local outreach called Cityserve and with the Woman’s ministry. I don’t get a lot of free time, but what free time I had these past 21 days was mostly wasted on non-God things.
With all my failings and shortcomings during this fast, there were some successes and amazing moments orchestrated by God that I was blessed to witness. I was able to attend weekly prayer meetings with my middle son and here him pray his little heart out. If you ever want to hear a heart beating for Jesus just listen to a little one pray innocently to their Lord and Savior. It was many times almost more than my heart could take in.  I was privileged to watch him humble himself before the Lord and cry out to Him for the sake of others. My young man has so many struggles in life, but his heart for Jesus is strong and true and I know it will carry him through the tough things of this world.
I also had the blessing of being led in a prayer meeting by my husband. Words can’t describe what it is like to be sitting in a church watching your husband lead people, as well as yourself, through prayer. I love that my husband has been called to preach and teach and lead people to Christ. He has spent most of our marriage saving people’s lives out on the water through the Coast Guard, and now he also get’s to watch people’s lives be saved by the living water, Jesus Christ. What an amazing life God has orchestrated for him and I am blessed to be along for the ride.

So what did I learn in my 21 days? My name is Stacy and I am addicted to TV. I also learned that my husband and I must be doing something right with our kids if they can pray from their hearts like they do…even our little 4 year old. When my house is too quiet I realize that my children are much louder than I ever realized. And finally, I learned that more time wasn’t what I need in my day. What my life and my days really need is a lot more Jesus and more time won’t give me that. Jesus is with me always; everywhere I go and in everything I do. I simply need to stop ignoring Him and engage. Realizing the things that steal my time from Jesus was a real humbling eye opener. I will go forth from here with a new perspective and a heart and mind in constant contact with my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment