Wednesday, September 24, 2014

In Stereo

     This whole "living intentionally" thing has really demanded my attention lately.  What things play into your reasoning when you are deciding if you should add something to your schedule?  Do you pray about it first?  Do you check your schedule to make sure it fits?  Do you think about your life and what you want it to look like, and if this potential commitment falls in line?  Or do you fly by the seat of your pants and just hope it all works out?  How do you think God would have you do it?  “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.  Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding, but must be controlled by bit and bridle, or they will not come to you” (Psalm 32:8-9).  I do not want to be a mule!
     When I was a young girl in youth group I heard a lesson so profound that it stuck with me all my life.  It was about asking God for what your heart desires so He can bless you with it.  I was taught that so many times we are missing out on God's blessing simply because we don't ask.  It was the story (clearly a fictional one) that had the biggest impact on me.  It was about a person who dies and goes to heaven.  Jesus is showing this person around and takes him to a closet full of wonderful gifts.  The person asks “Jesus, what is all of this?" and Jesus replies, "These are all the blessings I wanted to give you that you never asked for."  I do NOT want to get to heaven and find a closet full of blessings I missed!  
     When God wants me to hear something He speaks to me in stereo.  The message is everywhere I turn.  Right now, God has the stereo finely tuned in surround sound so that I can hear nothing else except "LIVE INTENTIONALLY!"  I find this message in Sunday morning sermons, the books I am reading, podcasts, broadcasts, and even conversations with friends.  Sometimes I even hear it in my head as I am experiencing someone or something not being intentional.  No matter where I go or what I am doing, I can't seem to escape this message lately, not that I would want to.  If left to my own abilities and thoughts, God knows I would be lost, so He puts His message everywhere so I am sure not to miss it!  "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways,' declares the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8).  I want to live my life God’s way, not mine.
     I am at the point where I have to choose things to give my time to.  We recently moved back to Texas this summer so my schedule is far from full.  Two of my three kids are back to school so I feel like now that I know their schedules I can set mine.  We recently found a church home and I am ready to start serving and committing my time there.  I also have some projects I feel God is calling me to like blogging, writing, and giving myself some time to take care of me.  Then there is baby girl who could use an activity of her own that we can do together, like a mommy and me gymnastics class.  On top of all of that, we are still trying to figure out what the best educational plan for Tony is, and homeschool is one of the options.  As you can see, it would be easy for my schedule to be suddenly overbooked with all good things, but am I choosing the best things God has planned for me? 
     Let's take the church as an example.  I love to work with the youth, the babies, women's ministry, community outreach, small groups, serving on Sunday mornings, and hospitality.  Clearly I cannot do all of it, so I have a choice to make.  Am I going to seek God first and ask Him for His plan?  Am I going to go in too deep and spread myself to thin?  Am I going to feel overwhelmed and do nothing?  I know what the right answer is, but how many times do I really go with the right answer?  “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails” (Proverbs 19:21).  I am fortunate that we have moved every two to four years because it has allowed me a "do over" in my schedule each time we move.  This time I am being intentional with my prayers, intentional with planning, and intentional with the speed in which I commit.  I cannot begin to tell you how freeing it is not to feel like I have to do something or to feel guilty if I don't do it.  I am on God's schedule and in God's plan.
     I watched an Internet broadcast on Monday by Chalene Johnson, and it was awesome.  Whether you are so busy you can't breathe, or feeling like your life is not your own, or even if you are like me and just creating your schedule; this is for you.  Here is the link so you can go watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh_-X4LrWlI   It is a four part series and this is the first one.  I was first introduced to Chalene through Turbo Kick about 10 years ago.  I was an aerobics instructor and went through the Turbo Kick certification.  Now, I have never met her in person, but have watched many videos from her and truly feel like I know her—crazy stalker alert, I know!  She is such an inspiration and I just know you will love her.
     So, here are some questions for you.  How do you think God wants you to live your life?  What does He want you to give your time to?  Is your life even close to either of those two answers?  I would love to hear from you, tell me what your life looks like and how God is working in and through you.  In fact, go ahead and put your comments below in the comments section.  Life is a journey of learning, let your lessons help others with their journey as well.


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Stacy. Sometimes we have to say no to GOOD things to make way for GREAT things. Schedule discipline is important.

    ReplyDelete