Friday, September 19, 2014

Satan's Radar

     Have you ever noticed that when you decide to follow God's plan for your life, that satan is just waiting in the wings to try and thwart your efforts?  Like you are wearing a neon sign that reads, “Look here satan, I am living for the Lord.  Come and get me!”  No matter how prepared you think you are, or how on guard against satan you may feel, he can still weasel his way in and try to mess things up.  If he can’t mess up the plan, he will at least play some crazy mind games.   Sometimes it is tempting to want to fly under satan's radar to avoid these attacks, but that is not how God would have us do it.  We are to live boldly and out loud for God!  “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12).  This is what is going on in my life right now.
     We have recently moved, so I am in the process of figuring out what things I am going to add to my plate.  Things like serving at church, blogging, writing, exercising, kids activities, etc…   I am trying to live intentionally for Christ, and apparently satan does not like that at all.  I have been feeling that if I don’t live intentionally I will unintentionally miss the best of what God has for my life.  I am reading a few really good books right now that are helping me make the plans I feel God is leading me to.  I am learning the importance of making a schedule so I can be sure not to over commit, and only give my time to what is best for me.  Two of the books are, “The Best Yes," by Lysa TerKeurst and “Do What You Can Plan," by Holley Gerth.  I highly recommend both of these books, though I haven’t finished them yet.
     So I sat down this past Sunday and made a schedule.  Monday was the first day on the new schedule.  Now I don’t have everything on it yet, but I have left spaces for what I plan to add within the next month.  I should tell you that I hate to be too busy or over-booked.  As a matter of fact, if I am too busy, causing me to miss out on family time, I actually feel less accomplished and less fulfilled.  I need my family time, playtime with my kids, time at home, and dinnertime around our table as a family.  These are things that make me selfish with my time and unwilling to give it away to just anything.  I am willing to follow God where He leads me, and I truly believe that is centered on my family time and His ministry.
     You already know the craziness that was my Monday, but what I blogged about is only half of it.  Satan was lurking around every corner trying to mess up my day.  I found myself doubting my abilities and what I feel is God’s calling on my life.   Not everything that interrupted my plans was a bad thing.  Sometimes the things that throw us off God’s path are good things, but these good things are keeping us from God’s best things.  I found my day filled with good things—and some not so good and hard things—but all the while I felt like I was missing the best of what God had planned for me.  It was a yucky feeling to say the least.  I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted” (Job 42:2).
     With each new day came new challenges and more interruptions to my newly implemented schedule.  Tony had a rough couple of days at school, and when I say rough, I mean down-right crippling.   This resorted in him staying home with me on Wednesday, the day I had a planned meeting with the pastor.   Each day I watched my schedule fly by with very little of it actually being accomplished.  Thankfully the one thing that wasn’t missed all week was my early morning quiet time with the Lord, which had it’s own obstacles to overcome.  Without that time with God in the mornings I am pretty sure I wouldn’t have made it through the week in one piece.  I went to bed every night exhausted and feeling a bit defeated, some nights more than a bit.
     You want to know what one of the best things about God is?   Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning” (Lamentations 3:23).  This promise brings me such comfort after a week like this.  So, even though my days weren’t going according to plan, it was so comforting to know that each day is a new day with new and fresh mercies just waiting for me.  Each day is a chance for us to do it better, follow God more completely, and beat satan at his own game—even if I had failed miserably at defeating him the day before.  God gives us a fresh slate, and believe me; I needed a fresh slate everyday this week.  I needed God’s grace and mercy just to get myself out of the bed every day.  And they were there, waiting for me each morning like a warm hug, gently lifting me out of bed to face my day.  Earnestly pushing me forward to do better, be better, and have better.  To seek out God's best for me.
     I am not trying to imply that my week was all bad, not even close.  As a matter of fact, my week was full of many beautiful, and some unexpected, blessings!  I had the privilege of watching Tony have his horseback riding lesson.  I was able to meet with the pastor of the church I go to and figure out where I can serve, which was one of my goals for the week.  My BFF babysat baby girl, which was the first time she has ever been able to do that.  I even got to visit with a friend I haven’t seen in years, and meet 2 of her precious boys, all thanks to Facebook.  Plus my social media friends surrounded my family in prayers this week.  Isn’t social media awesome?  I was able to shower Tony with the affection he needed after a rough couple of days and spend some time with just him, thanks to my husband who put baby girl to bed.  Plus, I have been able to blog 3 times this week, which I have discovered is some of my favorite time.  All in all, I would have to say my week was a success; but like every success story it has been laced with failure and upset.  Thank you Lord that you can raise up a victory out of so many losses!

     *As a side note, this is a quote from “The Best Yes” that I read during my quiet time this morning:  “Never is a woman so fulfilled as when she chooses to underwhelm her schedule so she can let God overwhelm her soul.” By Lysa TerKeurst.  Yes and yes!  Thank you God, that you know just the words I need exactly when I need them.  Thank you for speaking to me in stereo so I am sure not to miss what you would have me hear.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment